Total views : 220
Influence of Acid Contamination on Morphology and Mineralogy of Black Cotton Soil
Background: Soil contamination with acids has become a major issue for geotechnical engineers around the globe. Soil contamination with acids can significantly alter the morphology and mineralogy of soil. Thus, in this paper an attempt is made to present the morphological and mineralogical changes occurring in the soil due to prolonged interaction with different concentrations of acid. Methods: In order to assess the effect of acid contamination, a series of sediment volume, scanning electron microscopy and X-ray Diffraction analysis tests were carried out on soil samples which were exposed to three different concentrations of phosphoric and sulphuric acid. Findings: Experimental results show that both acids brought severe morphological changes (trapezoidal structures, needle like structures etc.) and mineralogical changes with the synthesis of neogenic formations mainly at higher concentrations and at prolonged duration of interaction. Improvements: The mineral transformations such as Berilinite, Stilbite, Gypsum, Anhydrite and Albite were found in case of acid contaminated soil which may affect the service conditions of foundations and super structures built on it.
Acid, Black Cotton Soil, Contamination, Mineralogy, Morphology.
- Mitchell JK. Fundamentals of soil behaviour. New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc. 1993.
- Olphen H. An introduction to clay colloid chemistry. Malabar: Krieger Publishing Company; 1991.
- Sridharan A, Nagaraj TS, Sivapullaiah PV. Heaving of soil due to acid contamination. Proc 10th International Conference on SM and FE; Stockholm. 1981. p. 383–6.
- Joshi RC, Pan X, Lohtia. Volume change in calcareous soil due to phosphoric acid contamination. Proc of the XIII ICSMFE; New Delhi. 1994. p. 1569–74.
- Sivapullaiah PV, Prasad BG, Allam MM. Effect of sulfuric acid on swelling behaviour of an expansive soil. Journal of Soil and Sediment Contamination. 2009; 18(2):121–35.
- Eisazadeh A, Kassim KA, Nur H. Morphology and BET surface area of phosphoric acid stabilized tropical soils. Engineering Geology. 2013 Feb; 154:36–41.
- Amulya M, Prasad CRV, Reddy PHP, Kumar GK. Effects of sulphuric acid on black cotton soil. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering. 2015 Apr; 8(2):196–200.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.