Total views : 551
Design of Low Cost Open Circuit Wind Tunnel - A Case Study
Objectives: This paper elucidate the entire procedure to design an open circuit subsonic wind tunnel which will be used to study the wind effect on the different prototypes of structural elements. Method: The existing guidelines and findings of the previous research works were followed for design calculation of different parts of the wind tunnel. Three design trials have been performed so as to achieve a velocity of 25 m/s at the test section. The final trial has been discussed in the body of the paper. Findings: The design includes a square test section of side 500 mm, to accommodate the model and required instrumentation in it, for force and pressure measurement. A straight section before the test chamber is provided to allow the output of contraction section to stabilize before it reaches the test section. Instead of using a curved wall shape a straight contraction profile with larger contraction length is used. The diffuser extends from the test section and its cross section changes from a square test section to an octagon of 311 mm side. The pressure drop and power required for the designed wind tunnel are calculated and tunnel performance curve is plotted. Application: The design being purely empirical, it requires computational validation before commencement of the construction of the wind tunnel. The investigators have actually made an attempt to design the same in the existing setup, which may be useful for different research purpose.
Design of Open Circuit Wind Tunnel, Loss in Contraction Section, Power Requirement, Pressure Drop in Diffuser, Stilting Section, Tunnel Performance Curve.
- Cattafesta L, Bahr CJ, Mathew J. Fundamentals of windtunnel design. Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering; 2010 Dec. p. 1–10.
- Roy S, Saha UK. An adopted blockage factor correlation approach in wind tunnel experiments of a Savonius-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management. 2014; 86(6):418–27.
- Arifuzzaman, MM. Design construction and performance test of a low cost subsonic wind tunnel. IOSR Journal of Engineering. 2012 Oct; 2(10):83–92.
- Barlow JB, Rae WH, Pope A. Low-speed wind tunnel testing. 3rd Ed. Wind Tunnel Design. United States of America: John Willey and Sons Publ; 1999.
- Abdalhamed AS, Yassen YEl-S, Elssaka MM. Design optimization of three dimensional geometry of wind tunnel contraction. Ain Shams Engineering Journal. 2015 Mar; 6(1):281–8.
- Fang FM, Chen JC, Hong YT. Experimental and analytical evaluation of flow in a square to square wind tunnel contraction. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. 2011 Mar; 89(3-4):247–62.
- Mehta RD, Bradshaw P. Design rules for small low speed wind tunnels. The Aeronautical Journal. 1979 Nov; 83(827):443–9.
- Building a wind tunnel: It will blow your mind. 2008. Available from: http://www.tomcarlone.com/Wind TunnelProject/ WindTunnelReport.pdf
- Gharbanian K, Soltani MR, Manshadi D. Experimental investigation on turbulence reduction in subsonic wind tunnels. Aerospace Science and Technology. 2011 Mar; 15(2):137–47.
- Mehta RD. Turbulent boundary layer perturbed by a screen. AIAA Journal. 1985 Sep; 23(9):1335–42.
- Quiterio PR, Velazquez MT, Eslava GT, Eslava RT, Florencio SS, Francis JA. Wind tunnel at LABINTHAP (Updated). Energy and Power Engineering. 2011 Sep; 3(4):565–73.
- Groth J, Johansson AV. Turbulence reduction by screen. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 1988 May; 197:139–55.
- Gharbanian K, Soltani MR, Manshadi MD. Experimental investigation on turbulence reduction in subsonic wind tunnels. Aerospace Science and Technology. 2011 Mar; 15(2):137–47.
- Bleier FP. Fan handbook: Selection application and design. New York: McGraw Hills Publications; 1998.
- D Space. 2016. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/DSpace
- Kumar BD, Swami BLP. Wind effects on tall building frames-influence of dynamic parameters. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 May; 3(5):583–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.