Total views : 628
Developments in Corrosion Detection Techniques for Reinforced Concrete Structures
Objectives: In the era of the smart cities no infrastructure activity is possible without reinforced concrete structures and these structures face Corrosion of reinforcement. Every year there is a loss of billions required for repair and maintenance necessary for maintaining the performance of the infrastructure. Corrosion of the RCC rebar is responsible for the reduction of load carrying capacity of the structure. So detection of the corrosion is very important for further loss of any type. Methods/Analysis: For the corrosion detection in RCC structure it is very important to know about philosophy of the corrosion occurrence. In the current work various corrosion detection techniques were discussed including surface potential technique, radiography, vibrating wire and electrical strain gauges, Hough transform optical fiber sensors and embedded corrosion Instrument. All these methods are studied on the basis of the progressive detection criteria and the merits and the demerits of each method. Findings: On the basis of the review areas required improvement in environment corrosion interaction philosophy, simulation of acceleration rate of corrosion of steel,studies related to the transport of chlorides and carbonation process, corrosion cracking behaviour. Novelty/Improvements: This paper outlines the corrosion detection techniques on the progressive methods of the corrosion detection and points out the areas of improvement in detection philosophy.
Corrosion, Detection Technique, RCC, Reinforced Concrete, Steel.
- Andrade C, Alonso C, Saria J. Influence of relative humidity and temperature at on site corrosion rates. Proceedings of 4thcanmet/ACI International Conference on Durability of Concrete, Australia; 1984.
- Pereira CJ, Hegedus LL. Diffusion and reaction of chloride ions in porus concrete. Proceedings of 8th International Symposium on Chemical Reaction Engineering, Great Britain; 1986.
- Broomfield JP. Uhlig’s corrosion handbook. Chapter 36. Second Edition. Revie RW, editor, Wiley; 2000.
- Norzila M, Ishak AS. Thermodynamic study of corrosion inhibition of mild steel in corrosive medium by piper nigrum extract. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(17):1–7. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i17/63478.
- Bastidas E, Arteagaa, Chateauneufc A, Sanchez-Silvaa M, Bressolettec, Schoefsb F. Influence of weather and global warming in chloride ingress into concrete: a stochastic approach. Structural Safety. 2010 Jul; 32(4):238–49.
- Hussain RR. Passive layer development and corrosion of steel in concrete at the nano-scale. Journal of Civil and Environmental Engineering. 2014 Apr; 4(3):116–20.
- Venkatasubramaniana G, Mideena AS, Jha AK. Corrosion behavior of aluminium alloy Aa 2219−T87 welded plates in sea water. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Nov; 5(11):1–6.
- Ismail A, Adan NH. Effect of oxygen concentration on corrosion rate of carbon steel in seawater. American Journal of Engineering Research. 2014; 3(1):64–7.
- Seikh AH, Sherif E-SM. Effects of immersion time and temperature on the corrosion of API 5L grade X-65 steel in 1.0 M H2SO4 pickling solution. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2014 Dec; 10(1):895–908.
- Broomfield JP. Corrosion of steel in concrete: understanding, investigation and repair. E&FN; Spon Publication, London: Great Britain; 2011.
- Federal Highway administration report to congress. FHWA publication company: Washington D. C.; 2001.
- Transportation research board. Highway de-icing comparing Salt and calcium magnesium. National Research Board Special Report 235: Washington D. C.; 1991.
- Wallband EJ. The performance of concrete in bridges - A survey report of 200 highway bridges: HMSO London publication; 2011.
- Rosenberg A, Hausson CM, Andrade C. Materials science of concrete. Jpskanly (ed) Publication; 1997. p. 285–6.
- Woodward R, Williams FW. Collapse of Yens-Y-Gwasbridge, West Glamorgan. Proceeding of the Institution of Civil Engineers; 1995. p.635–69.
- Heidersbach R. Attorney’s guide, to corrosion N salter (ed); 2001.
- Yeih W, Huang R. Detection of the corrosion damage in reinforced concrete members by ultrasonic testing. Cement and Concrete Research Journal. 1998 Jul; 28(7):1071–83.
- Protection of reinforcement in concrete – An update, Galvanizing and other methods. Indian Lead Zinc Information Centre (ILZIC) Report, New Delhi; 1995.p. 36–7.
- Boateng A, Danso KA, Dagadu CPK. Non-destructive evaluation of corrosion on insulated pipe using tangential radiographic technique. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 2013 Jun; 2(6):7–13.
- Song J, Lyu MR. A Houghtransform based line recognition method utilizing both parameter space and image space. The Journal of pattern Recognition Society. 2005 Apr; 38(4):539–52.
- Wang Y, Cheng G. Application of gradient-based Hough transform to the detection of corrosion pits in optical images. Applied Surface Science. 2016 Mar; 366:9–18.
- Smart Materials and Structures [Internet]. [Cited 2013 Dec]. Available from: http://ebooks.cambridge.org/chapter.jsf?bid=CBO9781139025164&cid=CBO9781139025164A007.
- Cement and concrete Research [Internet]. [Cited 2008 Oct]. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00088846/36/101985.
- Measurement Science and Technology[Internet]. [Cited 2016May 10]. Available from:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_Science_and_Technology.
- Dunn RC, Ross RA, Davis GD. Corrosion monitoring of steel reinforced concrete structures using embedded instrumentation. Conference of NACE International; 2010 Mar.
- Al Zubaidy EAH, Mohammad FS, Bassioni G. Effect of pH, salinity and temperature on aluminum cookware leaching during food preparation. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2011 Nov;6:6424–41.
- Guma TN, Aku SY, Yawas DS, Dauda M. Effects of environmental and metallurgical factors on corrosion of steel - a review. International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering. 2014 Nov; 1(11):94–105.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.