Total views : 299
Performance based Seismic Analysis on RCC Framed Elevated Circular Tanks with Flat and Domical Bases
Objectives: This paper replicates the comparative study of RCC staged circular water tanks with flat base and domical base of same capacity of 320m3 under seismic conditions. Method: Analysis is carried out for dynamic responses, with inclusive variables as height of staging, soil condition, damping factor, seismic zones adhering to IS 1893-2002. Layout of staging frame and circular tank is with accordance to IS 11682-1985 and IS 3370 accordingly. Series of analysis has been done using Staad pro v8i as a tool for Modal analysis and Response spectrum analysis adhering to IS 1893-2002, and response is depicted in the form of graphs for each zone. Findings: Graphs sketched for the governing design criteria i.e. Base Shear, for each height and type of tanks considered under the pertaining conditions for each zone perspicuously delivers the basic idea to the structural designer fellows for the ease of selection of water tank's configuration and height for optimum performance under seismic loading prior to designing in order to work out for a better and optimum design. Improvements: Different conditions has been incorporated as variables for precise and discreet graphs for each zone that is additive to the selection process of the structure.
Circular Water Tanks, Damping Factor, Height of Staging, Modal Analysis, Response Spectrum, Staad pro v8i.
- Ajagbe WO, Adedokun SI, Oyesile WB. Comparative study on the design of elevated rectangular and circular concrete water tanks. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development. 2012 May; 1(1):22–30.
- Punmia BC, Jain AK, Jain AK. Reinforced concrete structures. Laxmi Publications;2005 Oct.
- Devadanam B, Ratnam MKMV, Raju UR. Effect of staging height on the seismic performance of RC elevated water tank. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology.2015 Jan; 4(1):1–8.
- Open staad help, Bentley Systems [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Jan 06]. Available from: https://www.bentley.com/en/learn.
- IS: 1893, Indian standard criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures. Part– I general provisions and building. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi; 2002.
- IS: 11682, Criteria for design of RCC staging for overhead water tanks; Bureau of Indian Standards (Reaffirmed 2003), New Delhi; 1985.
- IS 3370, Concrete structures for storage of liquids. Part I -General Requirements, code of practice. Bureau of Indian Standards; Fifth revision, New Delhi; 2009.
- Vijay UP, Rajkumar PRK, Ravichandran PT. Seismic response control of RC structure using viscoelastic dampers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct;8(28):1–7. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i28/85366.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.