Total views : 331
Estimation of Bending Moment Coefficients of Two Way Rc Slabs: Finite Element Approach
Objective: The main objective of this study is to find out the bending moment co-efficient of two way reinforced concrete (RC) slabs. Methods/Analysis: Linear and nonlinear static analysis of single panel two way RC slabs have been performed in finite element program ANSYS 12.0. The yielding behavior of slabs for various edge restrained conditions in both linear and non-linear analysis was studied. Findings: The yield line patterns of slabs with all boundary conditions were observed. From the yielding pattern, it was studied that the longer edges yielding first followed by the shorter edges and mid-span of slab. Based on the observation of yield line pattern, the bending moment coefficients were found. The obtained values were compared with IS: 456 recommendations. The comparison of analytical results show that the method adopted to obtain the moment coefficients of two way slabs is satisfactory. Applications: Using detailed observation of yielding of slabs, the bending moment coefficients shall be arrived for the use of design of slabs of any irregular shapes.
Bending Moment Coefficient, Boundary Conditions, Non-Linear Analysis, Yield Line Pattern.
- IS 456. Plain and reinforced concrete – code of practice (fourth revision), BIS, New Delhi, India. 2000.
- Taylor R, Hayes B, Mohamedbhai GTG. Co-efficients for the design of slabs by yield-line theory. Concrete. 1969 May; 3(5):171–2.
- Taylor R, Hayes B, Mohamedbhai GTG. Co-efficients for designing slabs of beam-and-slab panels by the yield-line theory. Magazine of Concrete Research. 1969; 3(12):486–7.
- BS 8110 Part 1. Structural use of concrete – code of practice for design and construction (second edition), British Standards, UK. 1990.
- Sudhakar KJ, Goli HB. Limit state coefficients for trapezoidal-shaped slabs supported on four sides. Journal of Structural Engineering. 2003; 29(3):147–55.
- Motwani P, Rajendhran, Santhi AS. Simulation of brick infill and effect of openings on RC frames using ANSYS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2):29–35.
- Khaligh SP. Application of optimization techniques for yield line pattern determination of slabs. Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering. 2009 May; 1(6):1–5.
- Islam S, Park R. Yield-line analysis of two way reinforced concrete slabs with openings. Journal of the Structural Engineering. 1971 Jun; 49(6):269–76.
- He L, Gilbert M. Automatic rationalization of yield line patterns identified using discontinuity layout optimization. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 2016 May; 84:27–39.
- Le CV, Nguyen PH, Chu TQ. A curvature smoothening Hseigh-Clough-Tocher element for yield design of reinforced concrete slabs. Computers and Structures. 2015 May; 152:59–65.
- Al-Sabah AS, Falter H. Finite element lower bound yield line analysis of isotropic slabs using rotation free elements. Engineering Structures. 2013 Aug; 53:38–51.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.