Total views : 2434
Groundwater Vulnerability Assessment using SINTACS Model and GIS in Raipur and Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
Objectives: This study aims at the vulnerability assessment of groundwater in Raipur and Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India, and to identify areas where vulnerability of groundwater to contamination is the most. Methods: A vulnerability map has been developed using SINTACS model in order to identify areas where vulnerability of groundwater to contamination is the most. In this analysis, vulnerability index is calculated by considering different hydrogeological parameters such as water table depth, net recharge, unsaturated conditions, soil media, aquifer media, hydraulic conductivity and topographic slope. All the parameters used in this study have been prepared, classified, weighted and integrated in a Geographic Information System (GIS) environment. Findings: The value of vulnerability index estimated lies between 121 to 176.Further, result shows that out of total area, 0.26% of the area indicates very low vulnerability 11.58% indicates low vulnerability 81.35% indicates moderate vulnerability and 6.81% of area indicates high vulnerability. It means majority of the study area exhibit moderate vulnerability. The study produces an effective tool for local authorities who manage and monitor the ground water resources. Novelty: This paper deals with a new approach towards vulnerability assessment. Instead of the conventional statistical methods, this work uses the SINTACS method which is a much improved method and hence provides much more probable values of vulnerability indices than those obtained from DRASTIC methods.
GIS, Groundwater, SINTACS Model, Vulnerability.
- Rao SM, Mamatha P. Water quality in sustainable water management. Current Science. 2015; 87(7): 942–7.
- Vrba J, Zoporozec A. Guidebook on mapping groundwater vulnerability. International Contributions to Hydrogeology (IAH), Heise, Hannover. 1994; 16:131.
- CGWB. Ground water brochure of Raipur district, Chhattisgarh 2008-2009. Central Ground Water Board Ministry of Water Resources Government of India; 2009.
- CGWB. Status report on review of ground water resources estimation methodology New Delhi, India; 2009.
- Voudouris K. Assessing groundwater pollution risk in Sarigkiol basin, NW Greece. In Gallo M, Herrari M, editors, River Pollution Research Progress, Nova Science Publishers Inc.; 2009. p. 265–81.
- Civita MV. The combined approach when assessing and mapping groundwater vulnerability to contamination. Journal of Water Resource and Protection. 2010; 2:14–28.
- Subramanya K. Engineering hydrology. Fourth Edition. McGraw Hill Education (India) Private Limited; 2013.
- Al Kuisi M, El-Naqa A, Hammouri N. Vulnerability mapping of shallow groundwater aquifer using SINTACS model in the Jordan Valley area, Jordan. Environmental Geology. 2006; 50:645–50.
- Anwar M, Prem CC, Rao VB. Evaluation of groundwater potential of Musi River catchment using DRASTIC index model. Proceedings of the International Conference, Hyderabad; 2002. p. 399–409.
- Sinha MK, Verma MK, Ahmad I, Baier K, Jha R, Azzam R. Assessment of groundwater vulnerability using modified DRASTIC model in Kharun Basin, Chhattisgarh, India. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 2016 Feb; 9:98.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.