Total views : 337
Evaluating the Impact of SNOIs on SINR and Beampattern of MVDR Adaptive Beamforming Algorithm
Minimum Variance Distortionless Response (MVDR) is basically a unity gain adaptive beamformer which is suffered from performance degradation due to the presence of interference and noise. Also, MVDR is sensitive to errors such as the steering vector errors, and the nulling level. MVDR combined with a Linear Antenna Array (LAA) is used to acquire desired signals and suppress the interference and noise. This paper examines the impact of the number of interference sources and the mainlobe accuracy by using Signal to Interference plus Noise Ratio (SINR) and array beampattern as two different Figure-of-Merits to measure the performance of the MVDR beamformer with a fixed number of array elements (L). The findings of this study indicate that the MVDR successfully form a nulls to L-1 nonlook signal with average SINR of 49.31 dB. Also, the MVDR provides accurate mainlobe with a small change to the real user direction when the SNOIs are bigger than array elements. The proposed method was found to perform better than some existing techniques. Based on this analysis, the beampattern not heavily relies on the number of unwanted source. Moreover, the SINR strongly depends on the number of SNOIs and the nulling level.
Beamforming, Linear Antenna Array, Minimum Variance Distortionless Response, SINR, Smart Antenna.
- Cisco Visual Networking Index. Global mobile data traffic forecast update, 2013–2018. San Jose, CA, USA: Cisco Systems Inc; 2014.
- Ericsson Mobility Report. On the Pulse of the Networked Society. Kista, Sweden: Ericsson; 2015.
- Liberti JC, Rappaport TS. Smart antennas for wireless communications: IS-95 and third generation CDMA applications. Prentice Hall PTR; 1999.
- Garza C. 4G digest - 17.25 million BWA/WiMAX and 320 thousand LTE subscribers reached in Q1 2011 4G Digest; 2011.
- Halim MA. Adaptive array measurements in communications. 1st ed. Norwood, MA, USA: Artech House Publichers; 2001.
- Okkonen J. Uniform linear adaptive antenna array beamforming implementation with a wireless open-access research platform. University of Oulu; 2013 May.
- Pan C, Chen J, Benesty J. Performance study of the MVDR beamformer as a function of the source incidence angle. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. 2014; 22(1):67–79.
- Khaldoon AO, Rahman MM, Ahmad RB, Hassnawi LA. Enhanced uniform linear array performance using modified minimum variance distortionless response beamformer algorithm. 2nd International Conference on Electronic Design (ICED); 2014. p. 198–203.
- Lin J-R, Peng Q-c, Shao H-z. On diagonal loading for robust adaptive beamforming based on worst-case performance optimization. ETRI Journal. 2007 Feb; 29(1):50–8.
- Manolakis DG, Ingle VK, Kogon SM. Statistical and adaptive signal processing: Spectral estimation, signal modeling, adaptive filtering, and array processing. Norwood, MA, USA: Artech House Inc; 2005.
- Das KJ, Sarma KK, editors. Adaptive beamforming for efficient interference suppression using minimum variance distortionless response. International Conference on Advancement in Engineering Studies and Technology; 2012.
- Choi RL-U, Murch RD, Letaief K. MIMO CDMA antenna system for SINR enhancement. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2003; 2(2):240–9.
- Serbetli S, Yener A. Transceiver optimization for multiuser MIMO systems. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 2004; 52(1):214–26.
- Kum D, Kang D, Choi S. Novel SINR-based user selection for an MU-MIMO system with limited feedback. ETRI Journal. 2014; 36(1):62–8.
- Rao AP, Sarma N. Performance analysis of differential evolution algorithm based beamforming for smart antenna systems. IJWMT. 2014; 4(1):1–9.
- Ku B-J, Ahn D-S, Lee S-P, Shishlov A, Reutov A, Ganin S, et al. Radiation pattern of multibeam array antenna with digital beamforming for stratospheric communication system: Statistical simulation. ETRI Journal. 2002; 24(3):197–204.
- Habets E, Benesty J, Cohen I, Gannot S, Dmochowski J. New insights into the MVDR beamformer in room acoustics. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. 2010; 18(1):158–70.
- Hema N, Kidav JU, Lakshmi B. VLSI architecture for broadband MVDR beamformer. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(19).
- Lee M-S. Wideband Capon beamforming for a planar phased radar array with antenna switching. ETRI Journal. 2009; 31(3):321–3.
- Godara LC. Smart antennas. Boca Raton: CRC press; 2004.
- Souden M, Benesty J, Affes S. A study of the LCMV and MVDR noise reduction filters. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 2010; 58(9):4925–35.
- Godara LC. Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications. II. Beam-forming and direction-of-arrival considerations. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1997; 85(8):1195– 245.
- Renzhou G, editor Suppressing radio frequency interferences with adaptive beamformer based on weight iterative algorithm. Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Sensor Networks, (CCWMSN07), IET; 2007.
- Haykin S. Adaptive filter theory. 4th ed: Prentice Hall; 2013.
- Capon J. High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1969; 57(8):1408–18.
- Malaysian communications and multimedia commission. SKMM-MCMC Annual Report; 2011. Available from: http://www.skmm.gov.my/skmmgovmy/media/General/ pdf/
- Saxena P, Kothari A. Performance analysis of adaptive beamforming algorithms for smart antennas. IERI Procedia, Elsevier. 2014; 10:131–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.