Total views : 347
COBAST: Node Eminence State and Cooperative Bait Strategy based Route Discovery to Prevent Black and Gray Hole Attacks in Mobile Ad hoc Networks
Objectives: The data transmission in Mobile ad hoc networks (MANETs) usually compromises to security issues due to their dynamic topology. One of the malicious acts of the compromised nodes is Black hole attack, which becomes a significant research challenge. Methods/Analysis: We proposed a Node Eminence State and Cooperative Bait Strategy (COBAST) based Secure Route discovery to prevent the selection of route with nodes prone to black hole attack. This contribution is an extension of our earlier model ENES. The cooperative bait strategy proposed here is discovering the suspicious nodes involvement in the selected route. The experiments were done using NS2 simulator and simulated the network with presence of divergent ratios of malicious nodes. The performance of the proposal is estimated by comparing with the results obtained from other model found in contemporary literature, which is labeled as CBDA. Findings: The conventional metrics such as end to end delivery ratio, delay and routing overhead were assessed and also performed the experiments to assess the accuracy sensitivity and specificity of black hole node discovery. The obtained results for the metrics adapted were confirming the scalability and robustness of the COBAST. Novelty/Improvement: The proposed model evinced the scalability and robustness in detection of black hole attack prone nodes under minimal computational cost. The route discovered under the proposed model also found to be optimal in end to end maximum packet delivery ratio, minimum delay.
Black Hole Attacks, COBAST, Cooperative Bait Strategy, Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET), Node Eminence Score.
- Zhou L, Haas Z. Securing ad hoc networks. IEEE Network Magazine. 1999; 13(6):24–30.
- Zapata M, Asokan N. Securing ad hoc routing protocols. In Proceedings of 3rd ACM workshop WiSE, USA. 2002; 1–10.
- Papadimitratos P, Haas H. Secure data transmission in mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of ACM workshop WiSE. 2003; 1(1):41–50.
- Jabamani SS, Rajinikanth E. Integrity Key based Mechanism to Debase Packet Dropping in Manets. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(14):1–4.
- Sanzgiri K, Dahill B, Levine BN, Shields C, Belding-Royer EM. A secure routing protocol for ad hoc network. In Proceedings of 10th IEEE International Conference in Network Protocols (INCP’ 02) IEEE Press, USA. 2002. p. 78–87.
- Deng H, Agarwal P. Routing security in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Communication Magazine. 2002; 40(10):70– 5.
- Chang JM, Tsou PC, Chao HC, Chen JL. CBDS: A cooperative bait detection scheme to prevent malicious node for MANET based on hybrid defense architecture. 2nd International Conference on Wireless Communication, Vehicular Technology, Information Theory and Aerospace & Electronics Systems Technology (Wireless VITAE), IEEE, Taiwan. 2011. p. 1–5.
- Corson S, Macker J. Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET): Routing Protocol Performance Issues and Evaluation Considerations, RFC 2501. 1999.
- Baadache A, Belmehdi A. Avoiding black hole and cooperative black hole attacks in wireless ad hoc networks. 2010; 7(1):1–7.
- Marti S, Giuli TJ, Lai K, Baker M. Mitigating routing misbehavior in mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking ACM, USA. 2000. p. 255–65.
- Vishnu K, Paul AJ. Detection and removal of cooperative black/gray hole attack in mobile ad hoc networks. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2010; 1(22):38– 42.
- Liu K, Deng J, Varshney PK, Balakrishnan K. An acknowledgmentbased approach for the detection of routing misbehavior in MANETs. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2007; 6(5):536–50.
- Deng H, Li W, Agrawal DP. Routing security in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2002; 40(10):70–5.
- Ramaswamy S, Fu H, Sreekantaradhya M, Dixon J, Nygard KE. Prevention of Cooperative Black Hole Attack in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In International Conference on Wireless Networks. 2003. p. 570–5.
- Weerasinghe H, Fu H. Preventing cooperative black hole attacks in mobile ad hoc networks: Simulation implementation and evaluation. In Future Generation Communication and Networking (fgcnIEEE. Oakland. 2007; 2:362–7.
- Xue Y, Nahrstedt K. Providing fault-tolerant ad hoc routing service in adversarial environments. Wireless Personal Communications. 2004; 29(3-4):367–88.
- Kozma W, Lazos L. REAct: resource-efficient accountability for node misbehavior in ad hoc networks based on random audits. In Proceedings of the Second ACM Conference on Wireless Network Security, ACM, USA. 2009. p. 103–10.
- Wang W, Bhargava B, Linderman M. Defending against collaborative packet drop attacks on MANETs. In 2nd International Workshop on Dependable Network Computing and Mobile Systems (DNCMS (in Conjunction with IEEE SRDS New York, USA. 2009; 27:1–6.
- Poongodi T, Karthikeyan M. Localized Secure Routing Architecture Against Cooperative Black Hole Attack in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Wireless Personal Communications. 2016; 1–12.
- Babu ES, Nagaraju C, Prasad MK. Efficient DNA-Based Cryptographic Mechanism to Defend and Detect Black hole Attack in MANETs. In Proceedings of International Conference on ICT for Sustainable Development Springer Singapore. 2016. p. 695–706.
- Chang JM, Tsou PC, Woungang I, Chao HC, Lai CF. Defending against collaborative attacks by malicious nodes in MANETs: A cooperative bait detection approach. IEEE Systems Journal. 2015; 9(1):65–75.
- Sekhar S, Reddy ES. ENES: Exploratory Node Eminence State for Secure Routing in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2016; 11(8):5863–8.
- Ihaka R, Gentleman R. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 2001; 5(3):299–314.
- Amiri R, Rafsanjani M K, Khosravi E. Black hole attacks detection by invalid ip addresses in mobile ad hoc networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(4):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.