Total views : 455
Effect of the Addition of Al and Cu on Magnesium Processed by Powder Metallurgy Route
Objectives: Magnesium being HCP structured has the disadvantage of having poor deformation properties at room temperature making it difficult to work below recrystallization temperature. Hence it is necessary to improve the properties of Mg such as hardness and ductility etc. The present work aims to fabricate Mg-3Al-0.3Cu, Mg-3Al-0.6Cu, Mg- 6Al-0.3Cu and Mg-6Al-Cu alloys by powder metallurgy route. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The effect of both Al and Cu on the mechanical properties of pure Mg was evaluated. The elemental metal powders of Mg, Al and Cu are blended to make homogenized mixture and compacted at 300 MPa pressure to a 30mm diameter billets. The compacted samples were sintered using microwave furnace. The sintered samples arethen subjected to microstructural and micro-hardness testing using optical microscope and microhardness tester respectively. Findings: Results of microstructural and mechanical tests suggest that the Al and Cu have significant effect on the hardness of Mg by the formation of Mg2Cu and Mg17Al12 phases. Based on the observations the optimum percentage of Al and Cu was found to be Mg-6Al-0.6Cu for betterhardness. Application/Improvement: The systematic investigation of the effect of Al and Cu on the sintered magnesium alloys is reported for the first time.
Magnesium Alloys, Material Characterization, Mg-Al-Cu Alloys, Microhardness, Optical Microscopy, Powder Metallurgy.
- Devaki H, Priya PG. Corrosion studies using zeolite synthesized from fly ash. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(20):1–10. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i20/93147.
- Hassan SF, Gupta M. Development to high performance magnesium nano-composites using nano Al2O3 as reinforcement. Material Science and Engineering. 2005; 392(1–2):163– 8.
- Goh CS, Wei J, Lee LC, Gupta M. Properties and deformation behaviour of Mg–Y2O3 nano composites. Acta Materialia. 2007; 55(15):5115–21.
- Lu L, Thong KK, Gupta M. Mg-based composite reinforced by Mg2Si. Composites Science and Technology. 2003; 63(5):627–32.
- Muruganandam D, Balasubramaniyan C, Gokulachander B. Review paper on friction stir welding of aluminium and magnesium alloys. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(35):1–6. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i35/86774.
- Anirudh M, Chandramouli R. Finite element analysis of equal channel angular pressing on densification and deformation behaviour of Al-1100 processed by powder metallurgy route. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(22):1–6. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i22/79338.
- Kumar RR, Sivapragash M. Fabrication and hardness property of Mg composite (ZK30 - Ca3 (PO4)2) for biomedical implants by powder metallurgy. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(24):1–4. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i24/85363.
- Garcés G, Rodríguez M, Pérez P, Adeva P. Effect of volume fraction and particle size on the micro structure and plastic deformation of Mg–Y2O3 composites. Materials Science and Engineering. 2006; 419(1–2):357–64.
- Rashad M, Pan F, Asif M. Room temperature mechanical properties of Mg–Cu–Al alloys synthesized using powder metallurgy method. Materials Science and Engineering. 2015; 644:129–36.
- Hussaina S, Saleeme MD, Asif M, Rashad M, Pan F. Improving properties of Mg with Al–Cu additions. Materials Characterization. 2014; 95:140–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.