Total views : 240
Study and Design Evaluation of RF CMOS Oscillators
Objectives: To design and analyze the performance of CMOS RF Oscillator circuits at low supply voltage. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The Current Mode Logic (CML) based oscillator and LC oscillator is designed for 5GHz WLAN applications. The CML design adopts a DCO topology and the schematic layout is drawn using Microwind 2.7. The performance analysis is carried out using Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHz processor. Advanced Design System 9.0 is used to implement schematics for analyzing the performances of proposed LC tank oscillator. Findings: The simulated results show that the tri-state inverter based DCO has 20 to 30% power reduction which is more than other conventional oscillator circuits. The CML inverter based DCO consumed more power than tri-state inverter because it used tail current transistor that provides always the static path from supply to ground. The theoretical phase noise is compared with simulated value of –95.19 dBc/Hz at same offset frequency. Application/Improvements: These designs produce a substantial improvement in performance and may be easily integrated with RF front-end blocks with minimal interface problems.
Current Mode Logic, CMOS Technology, Oscillator, Radio Frequency Design.
- Soltanian B, Peter R, Kinget K. Tail current-shaping to improve phase noise in LC voltage- controlled oscillators. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits. 2006; 41(8):1792–802.
- Liu HQ, Goh WL. Design and frequency/phase analysis of 10GHz CMOS ring oscillator with fine frequency tuning. Springer Science Journal. Analog Integr Circ Sig Process. 2006; 48(2):85–94.
- Lee SY,Chen CY. Analysis and design of a wide-tuning range VCO with quadrature outputs. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems. 2008; 55(12):1209–12.
- Rahimi M. Design and simulation of a 2.4 GHz VCO with high Q MEMS inductor. International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering. 2009; 1(3):251–7.
- Leung B. Comparison of phase-noise models on a class of ring oscillators using low voltage swing fully differential delay cells. Analog Integr Circ Sig Process, Springer Science Journal. 2009; 61(2):129–47.
- Lee L, Thomas H. The design of CMOS radio frequency circuits. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 1999. p. 309–13.
- Behzad R. RF microelectronics. Upper Saddle River. NJ: Prentice Hall; 1998. p. 38–4.
- Leung B. VLSI for wireless communication. Prentice Hall; 2002.
- Cornetta G, David J, Santos S. 130 nm CMOS mixer and VCO for 2.4 GHz low-power wireless personal area networks. International Journal of Electronics, Circuits and Systems. 2008; 2(4):194–9.
- Naimi HM, Ghonoodi H. Analysis of phase accuracy in CMOS quadrature LC oscillators. Springer science, Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal processing. 2011; 67(2):110–9.
- Ho SSK, Carlos E, Saavedra S. A low-noise self-oscillating mixer using a balanced VCO load. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I. 2011; 58(8):1705–12.
- May A, Tomar T, Pokharel RK. Design of 1.1 GHz DCO ring oscillator. IEEE International Workshop on RFIT; 2007. p. 82–6.
- John P, Uyemura U. Chip design for submicron VLSI: CMOS layout and simulation. 1st ed. Cengage Learning Ltd; 2006.
- Sicard E , Bendhia SD. Basics of CMOS cell design. 1st ed. Tata McGraw Hill Ltd; 2007.
- Ramaiah H. Design of low phase noise, low power ring oscillator for OC-48 application. IETE Journal of Research. 2012; 58(5):425–8.
- Das B, Abdullah MFL, Shahida MSHN, Bakhsh Q. Current mode logic based semiconductor laser driver design for optical communication system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10):1–6.
- Sumathi M, Karthik Y. Performance analysis of CML logic gates and latches. IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Comunications. IEEE Digital Library. 2007; 1(5):1428–32.
- Manzoor M, Verma S, Singh T, Manzoor M. Various techniques to overcome noise in dynamic CMOS logic. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(22):1–7.
- Bhat S, Choudhary S, Selvakumar J. Design of low voltage CMOS OTA using bulk-driven technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19):1–6.
- Harada Y, Fujimoto K, Eguchi K, Fukuhara M, Yoshida M. Design of a wide range hamming distance search circuit using neuron CMOS inverters. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(28):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.