Total views : 201
Performance Evaluation of LAR and OLSR Routing Protocols in Forest Fire Detection using Mobile Ad-Hoc Network
Objectives: To provide an assessment of two different types of MANET routing protocols. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: One of the key applications of the MANET technology include the disaster responding and the rescuing applications. Forest fires need a constant monitoring and an efficient communicative system. MANET includes several routing protocols. In spite of there being a large number of protocols, their performance in such disaster situations is ineffective due to high costs and a practical inability to recreate this scenario in a lab. Findings: The routing protocol performance was assessed using the MATLAB software. The different evaluation metrics that were adopted included the energy consumption, packet delivery ratio, routing overhead, and the end-to-end delay. Application/ Improvement: In our study, we have simulated a model for the forest fire disaster and have assessed two different routing protocols, i.e., the reactive Location-Aided Routing (LAR), and the proactive Optimised Link State Routing (OLSR). These protocols were evaluated to determine which is the more effective and reliable protocol amongst the two, in the case a forest fire disaster occurs. Our results have shown that the reactive LAR protocol was much better as compared to the proactive OLSR protocol as it showed better results for the Packet Delivery Ratio (PDR), energy consumption, and overheads, while the OLSR protocol has lesser values for the End-to-End Delay (E2E-Delay) parameter.
Forest Fire Detection, Location-Aided Routing Protocol, Mobile Ad Hoc Network, Optimised Link State Routing Protocol, Routing Protocols.
- Chitkara M, Ahmad MW. Review on MANET: Characteristics, Challenges, Imperatives and Routing Protocols. International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing. 2014; 3 (2): 432–7.
- Haripriya Y, Pavani KVB, Lavanya S, Viswanatham VM. A Framework for Detecting Malicious Nodes in Mobile Adhoc Network.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2):151–55.
- Goyal P, Parmar V, Rishi R. Manet: vulnerabilities, challenges, attacks, application. IJCEM International Journal of Computational Engineering and Management. 2011 Jan; 2011(11): 32–7.
- Krishnan MBM, Balachander T, Rajasekar P. Agent Based Trust Estimation for Mobile Ad Hoc Network.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(S9):223–7.
- Somarin AM, Alaei Y, Tahernezhad MR, Mohajer A, Barari M. An Efficient Routing Protocol for Discovering the Optimum Path in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):450–55.
- Rajkumar K. Efficient Resource Allocation in Multicasting over Mobile Adhoc Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jun; 7(S5):71–5.
- Paul H, Sarkar P. A study and comparison of OLSR, AODV and ZRP routing protocols in ad hoc networks. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2013 Aug; 2(8): 1–5.
- Kumar P, Kumar A. Simulation Based Analysis of DSR, LAR and DREAM Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Networks. MIT International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology. 2013 Aug; 3(2): 58–62.
- Keshtgary M, Rikhtegar N. Performance evaluation of routing protocols for wireless sensor networks in forest fire detection application. In Information and Knowledge Technology (IKT), 5th Conference on IEEE. Iran, 2013. p. 248–51.
- Wenning BL, Pesch D, Timm-Giel A, Görg C. Environmental monitoring aware routing: making environmental sensor networks more robust. Telecommunication Systems. 2010 Feb; 43(1-2): 3–11.
- Abishek TK, Chithra KR, Ramesh MV. AER: Adaptive energy efficient routing protocol for network of flying robots monitoring over disaster hit area. 21st Annual Wireless and Optical Communications Conference (WOCC),India, 2012.p. 166–9.
- Wenning BL, Pesch D, Timm-Giel A, Görg C. Environmental monitoring aware routing in wireless sensor networks. Wireless and Mobile Networking Springer. US, 2008;284: p. 5–16.
- Jamil A, Parish DJ, Phan RC, Phillips I, Whitley J, Oikonomou G. Maximise unsafe path routing protocol for forest fire monitoring system using wireless sensor networks. In Networked Embedded Systems for Every Application (NESEA). IEEE 3rd International Conference on IEEE. UK, 2012. p. 1–8.
- Kashyab I, Rathy RK, Pandey D. A hierarchy based routing protocol for disaster recovery system. In International Conference on Reliability Optimization and Information Technology (ICROIT). India, 2014.
- Clausen T, Jacquet P. RFC 3626: Optimized link state routing protocol (OLSR). IETF. 2003; 4: 1–76.
- Ko YB, Vaidya NH. Location‐Aided Routing (LAR) in mobile ad hoc networks. Wireless networks. 2000 Sep; 6(4): 307–21.
- Al-Begain K, Awan I, Kouvatsos DD. Analysis of GSM/GPRS cell with multiple data service classes. Wireless Personal Communications. 2003; 25(1): 41–57.
- Ramesh V, Subbaiah DP, Rao NK, Raju MJ. Performance Comparison and Analysis of DSDV and AODV for MANET. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering. 2010 Oct; 2(2): 183–8.
- Manjula SH, Abhilash CN, Shaila K, Venugopal KR, Patnaik LM. Performance of aodv routing protocol using group and entity mobility models in wireless sensor networks. InProceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists. 2008 Mar; 2(11):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.