Total views : 187
Mammogram Segmentation using Region based Method with Split and Merge Technique
Objectives: Now a days, the major health risk in woman is breast cancer. In order to reduce the death rate, early detection of cancerous region in mammogram images is needed. But finding the lesion part and its spread from the mammogram image is very difficult. To identify the type of cancer, segmentation of lesion region is important. To perform further breast cancer classification, this paper proposes an improved segmentation algorithm using digital mammogram. Method/Analysis: An automated method is used to segment the affected mammogram in a effective manner using split and merging technique based on region based segmentation method by identifying a seed point .The proposed algorithm uses morphological operation to remove the noise digitally and region split and merge technique to remove the background and separate the affected region in the image. Findings: The efficiency of this proposed algorithm is calculated by measuring five different parameters Mean, Variance, standard deviation, entropy, correlation and the output is compared with existing technique and it is observed that proposed method shows better results than previous threshold decomposition method. Improvement: From the segmented output the features are extracted for finding the type of cancer from the mass and Micro calcification region
Breast Cancer, Microcalcification, Mammogram Images, Region Based Segmentation, Segmentation, Seed Selection.
- Engineering C. Review on various techniques of mammogram image segmentation. 2015; 4(5):1456–60.
- Angayarkanni SP, Kamal DNB, Thavavel DV. Mammogram Mri Image Segmentation and Classification. 2013; 57(2):174–83.
- Ettabaa KS. A new Mammography segmentation technique based on Watershed, Wavelet and Curvelet transform. 48–51.
- Bose JSC. Detection of Microcalcification in Mammograms using Soft Computing Techniques. 2012; 86(1):103–22.
- Subashini TS, Ramalingam V, Palanivel S. Pectoral Muscle removal and Detection of masses in Digital Mammogram using CCL. Int J Comput Appl. 2010; 1(6):71–6.
- Udaya GG. Efficient Segmentation and Classification of Micro calcification using PSO and SVM in Mammographic Images. 2013; 58–62.
- Lagzouli M, Elkettani Y. A New Morphology Algorithm for Microcalcifications Detection in Fuzzy Mammograms Images. 2014; 3(1):729–33.
- Journal I, Engineering OF. A Hybrid Scheme for Mass Detection and Classification in Mammogram. 2014; 3(3):1–3.
- Sahakyan A. Segmentation of the Breast Region in Digital Mammograms and Detection of Masses. 2012; 3(2):102–5.
- Saini S, Arora K. A Study Analysis on the Different Image Segmentation. 2014; 4(14):1445–52.
- Ponraj D, Jenifer M. A Survey on the Preprocessing Techniques of Mammogram for the Detection of Breast Cancer. J Emerg. 2011; 2(12):656–64.
- Samir P, Bandyopadhyay K. Survey on Segmentation Methods for Locating Masses in a Mammogram Image. 2010; 9(11):25–8.
- Khan AM. Image Segmentation Methods: A Comparative Study. Int J Soft Comput Eng. 2013; 3(4):84–92.
- Kamdi S, Krishna RK. Image Segmentation and Region Growing Algorithm. Int J Comput Technol Electron Eng. 2011; 2(1):103–7.
- Melouah A, Amirouche R. Comparative study of automatic seed selection methods for medical image segmentation by region growing technique. Recent Adv Biol Biomed Bioeng. 91–7.
- Rajkumar K, Raju G. Automated Mammogram Segmentation Using Seed Point Identification and Modified Region Growing Algorithm. Br J Appl Sci Technol. 2015; 6(4):378–85.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.