Total views : 234
Tuning of Fractional Order PI Controller for Cascade Control System using Genetic Algorithm
Background/Objectives: The main objective of this research work is to design a cascade control system with fractional order proportional plus integral controller as the primary controller and proportional controller as the secondary controller. The best optimal values for fractional order PI controller (FOPI) controller are obtained by minimizing time integral performance criteria i.e IAE using genetic algorithm. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Cascade control scheme is one of the most popular control schemes in process industries because of its improved disturbance rejection and easy implementation. Research have been done by various researchers in designing the conventional controller for a cascade control system, but the emergence of fractional calculus in the field of control area paved the idea to replace conventional integer order controllers by fractional order controllers. Findings: The cascade control system is always designed using conventional controllers. An attempt is made to replace conventional integer order controllers in the primary loop with fractional order controllers in order to improve the performance and get better disturbance rejection. Applications/ Improvements: Simulation results show the effectiveness of the proposed controller. The performance indices tabulated and compared to indicate the improvement.
Fractional Order PI Controller, Integral Absolute Error (IAE), Genetic Algorithm, Z-N Method.
- Seborg DE, Edgar TF, Mellichamp DA. New York: John Wiley & Sons: Process Dynamics and Control. 2004.
- Ogunnaike BA, Ray WH. New York: Oxford University Press: Process Dynamics, Modeling and Control. 1994.
- Marlin TE. McGraw-Hill: Process Control: Designing Processes and Control Systems for Dynamic Performance. 2000 Mar.
- Abdalla BK. Cascade Control of a Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor (CSTR). Journal of Applied and Industrial Sciences. 2013 Oct; 1(4):16-23.
- Richards JR, Congalidis JP. Measurement and control of polymerization reactors. Computers and Chemical Engineering. 2006 Sep; 30(10-12):1447–63.
- Mehta U, Majhi S. On-line identification of cascade control systems based on half limit cycle data. The International Society of Automation Transactions. 2011 Jul; 50(3):473–78.
- Veronesi M, Visioli A. Simultaneous closed-loop automatic tuning method for cascade controllers. IET – Control Theory and Applications. 2011 Jan; 5(2):263–70.
- Lee Y, Park S, Lee M. PID controller tuning to obtain desired closed loop responses for cascade control systems. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 1998 Apr; 37(11):1859–65.
- Lee Y, Oh S, Park S. Enhanced control with a general cascade control structure. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2002 May; 41(11):2679–88.
- Tan KK, Lee TH, Ferdous R. Simultaneous online automatic tuning of cascade control for open loop stable processes. The International Society of Automation Transactions. 2000 Apr; 39(2):233–42.
- Hang CC, Loh AP, Vasnani VU. Relay feedback auto tuning of cascade controllers. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. 1994 Mar; 2(1):42–5.
- Huang HP, Chien IL, Lee YC. Simple method for tuning cascade control systems. Chemical Engineering Communication. 1998 Jan; 165(1):89–12.
- Liu T, Gu DY, Zhang WD. Decoupling two-degree-of-freedom control strategy for cascade control systems. Journal of Process Control. 2005 Mar; 15(2):159–67.
- Alfaro VM, Vilanova R, Arrieta. Robust tuning of Two-Degree-of-Freedom (2-DoF) PI/PID based cascade control systems. Journal of Process Control. 2009 Dec; 19(10):1658–70.
- Jobrun Nandong, Zhuquan Zang. Generalized multi-scale control scheme for cascade processes with time-delays. Journal of Process Control. 2014; 24(1):1057–67.
- Padhan DG, Majhi S. Modified Smith predictor based cascade control of unstable time delay processes. ISA Transactions. 2012 Jan; 51(1):95–104.
- Uma S, Chidambaram M, Rao AS, Yoo CK. Enhanced control of integrating cascade processes with time delays using modified smith predictor. Chemical Engineering Science. 2010 Feb; 65(3):1065–75.
- Padhan DG, Majhi S. Enhanced cascade control for a class of integrating processes with time delay. The International Society of Automation Transactions. 2013 Jan; 52(1):45–55.
- Podlubny I. Fractional-order systems and PIλDµcontroller. IEEE Transactions Automatic Control. 1999; 44(1):208–14.
- Li HS, Luo Y, Chen YQ. A fractional order proportional and derivative (FOPD) motion controller: tuning rule and experiments. IEEE Transactions Control System Technology. 2010 Mar; 18(2):516–20.
- Monje CA, Vinagre BM, Feliu V, Chen YQ. Tuning and auto-tuning of fractional order controllers for industry applications. Control Engineering Practice. 2008 Jul; 16(7):798–812.
- Truong Nguyen Luan Vu, Moonyong Lee. Analytical design of fractional-order proportional-integral controllers for time-delay processes. The International Society of Automation Transactions. 2013 Sep; 52(5):583–91.
- Barbosa RS, Machado T, Ferreira IM. Tuning of PID controllers based on Bode’s ideal transfer function. Nonlinear Dynamics. 2004 Dec; 38(1):305–21.
- Yanzhu Zhang, Jingjiao LI. Fractional-order PID Controller Tuning Based on Genetic Algorithm. 2011 International Conference, Business Management and Electronic Information (BMEI). 2011 May; p. 764–67.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.