Total views : 180
Survey on Test Case Prioritization Techniques for Regression Testing
Objective: The main intent of this research is to provide prioritization of test cases in regression testing for various applications. For that, several test case prioritization techniques which are classified based on various parameters are investigated. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this manuscript, a survey has been made on various test case prioritization techniques for regression testing. Several test case prioritization techniques are presented for regression testing of various applications. One of the suggested technique is Reinforcement Learning (RL) based Hidden Markov Model (HMM) method for prioritizing test cases during regression testing of Graphical User Interface (GUI) applications. Results: This survey comprehensively studies the issues in test case prioritization techniques for regression testing. The performance of different methods is compared with various parameters such as Average Percentage Faults Detected (APFD), effect size, statistical testing. The mean values of APFD for RL-Based HMM model method is 0.68, for accumulated Q-value method is 0.62 and for statement coverage method is 0.61. Findings: The major findings in this survey are that test case prioritization is still at its primitive stages and more research is required to make it applicable in today’s world. It can be applied to all streams of computer engineering if made practically feasible. Currently test case prioritization is only applied where there is no consideration of cost like safety critical software. Many existing methods are surveyed in this work and the findings suggest that model based test case prioritization is best in all aspects. Application/Improvement: Test case prioritization can be applied to all kinds of software once it is cost effective and practically feasible but currently its application is limited to some software components only. Conclusion: This survey investigates several test case prioritization techniques and provides the idea for efficient methods for future work.
APFD, Effect Size, Prioritization, Regression Testing, Statistical Testing, Test Case.
- Rothermel G, Harrold MJ. A safe, efficient regression test selection technique. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM). 1997 Apr; 6(2):173–210. Crossref
- Pravin P. Effective test case selection and prioritization in regression testing. Journal of Computer Science. 2013; 9(5):654–9. Crossref
- Qu B, Nie C, Xu B. Test case prioritization based on test suite design information. Chinese Journal of Computers. 2009; 31(3):431–9. Crossref
- Ansari A, Khan A, Khan A, Mukadam K. Optimized regression test using test case prioritization. Procedia Computer Science. 2016; 79:152–60. Crossref
- Sumar G. An efficient method to achieve effective test case prioritization in regression testing using prioritization factors. Asian Journal of Information Technology. 2012; 11(5):169–80. Crossref
- Chen X, Chen J, Ju X, Gu Q. Survey of test case prioritization techniques for regression testing. Journal of Software. 2014; 24(8):1695–712. Crossref
- Muthusamy TKS. A new effective test case prioritization for regression testing based on prioritization algorithm. Indian Journal of Asian and Information Science. 2014 Jan; 6(7):21–6. Crossref
- Kire K, Malhotra N. Study of test case selection and prioritization. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2014 Jan; 85(5):28–30. Crossref
- Beena R, Sarala S. Code coverage based test case selection and prioritization. International Journal of Software Engineering and Applications (IJSEA). 2013 Nov; 4(6):39–49.
- Catal C, Mishra D. Test case prioritization: a systematic mapping study. Software Quality Journal. 2012 Jul 26; 21(3):445–78. Crossref
- Gokce N, Eminli M. Model-based test case prioritization using neural network classification. Computer Science and Engineering: An International Journal. 2014 Feb; 4(1):15–25.
- Badhera U, Biswas D. Test case prioritization using fuzzy logic based on requirement prioritizing. International Journal of Computer Science and Applications (IJCSA). 2013; 3(2):23–9.
- Panigrahi C, Mall R. Model-based regression test case prioritization. SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes. 2010 Nov; 35(6):1–7. Crossref
- Singhal H, Tyagi K. An evolution of test case prioritization techniques. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 Nov; 130(1):33–7. Crossref
- Chandu P, Sasikala T. Implementation of regression testing of test case prioritization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):290–3. Crossref
- Wu X, Jiang R, Michael Q, Zhang Z, Li S. Test case prioritization using hyperlink ranking - a graph theory based approach. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2013 Nov; 2(11):29–32. Crossref
- Singh Y, Kaur A, Suri B. Test case prioritization using ant colony optimization. SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes. 2010 Jul; 35(4):1–7. Crossref
- Rajal JS, Sharma S. A review on various techniques for regression testing and test case prioritization. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 Apr; 116(16):8–13.
- Pathania Y, Kaur G. Role of test case prioritization based on regression testing using clustering. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 Apr; 116(19):7–10. Crossref
- Chen G, Wang P. Test case prioritization in a specificationbased testing environment. Journal of Software. 2014; 9(8):1–9.
- Li Z, Harman M, Hierons R. Search algorithms for regression test case prioritization. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Software Engineering. 2007 Apr; 33(4):225–37. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.