Total views : 398
Offline Navigation: GPS based Location Assisting System
Objectives: We have developed an Offline Navigation Android1 application especially for the visually impaired people, the application also features a module through which the user, if lost track or has been abducted can reach back to the original location without the use of the internet. Methods/Statistical Analysis: We have used Google’s direction API2 for the route data, using this data the application guides the user with the help of Global Positioning System and Magnetic sensor. The main uniqueness of this application is, it works without the internet and consumes less battery charge. Findings: The developed application uses the data from the direction API (i.e., JSON format text) for navigating without displaying the map instead by reading out instructions, showing just direction and giving vibration feedback if deviating from the path. Thus the application differs from a typical navigation application. Application/Improvements: The developed application has a unique functionality for retracing a user’s path, and also consumes less space and computation compared to other navigation applications.
Google Directions API, GPS, GSM, Magnetic Sensor, Offline Navigation, Retracing, Visually Impaired.
- Android. Available from: http://developer.android.com/guid/basics
- Google directions API. https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/directions/intro
- Dai Z, Knedlik S, Ubolkosold P, Zhou J, Loffeld O. Integrated GPS navigation for civilian vehicles challenging environment. IEEE Germany; 2007.
- Tjostheim I, Fesenmaier DR. Mobile devices as substitute or supplement to traditional information sources: city tourists, mobile guides and GPS navigation. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism; 2008.
- Lai YC, Han F, Yeh Y H, Lai CN, Szu YC. A GPS navigation system with QR code decoding and friend positioning in smart phones. 2nd International Conference on Educational Technology and Computer (ICETC); Tawan. 2010.
- Ran L, Helal S, Drishti MS. An integrated indoor/outdoor blind navigation system and service. 2nd IEEE Annual Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PERCOM’04); USA. 2004. p. 23.
- Getting IA. Perspective navigation-the global positioning system. IEEE Spectrum. 1993; 30(12):36–8.
- Surachat K, Kajkamhaeng S, Damkliang K, Tiprat W, Wacharanimit A. First aid application on mobile device. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering. 2013; 7(5):1–6.
- Navin D, Waghwani W, Jayaraman R, Umesh B, Waghmare W. Friend finder navigation android application to meet new people around. IRJET. 1892; 2(7):68–73.
- Deb P, Singh N, Kumar S, Rai N, Naidu PAS, Iyengar CHSN. Offline navigation system for mobile devices. IJSEA. 2010; 1(2):1–23.
- Vystrcil J, Mikovec Z, Slavik P. Naviterier- Indoor navigation system for visually impaired. Parague: Czech Technical University in Prague Karlovo nam. Prague Czech Republic; 2012. p. 1–4.
- Agarwal R, Vasalya A. Bluetooth navigation system using Wi-Fi access points. International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Systems. 2012; 3(2):1–8.
- Aswathy VR, Dilraj N, Rao S. RF based talking signage for blind navigation. IJCI. 2015; 4(2):1–9.
- Ali S, Khusro S. Mobile phone sensing: a new application paradigm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(19):1–42.
- Google directions API. Available from: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/directions/intro
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.