Total views : 421
Influence of Motivational Factors and Gender Differences on Learning English as a Second Language: A Case of Engineering Students from Rural Background
Objectives: This study investigates the role of motivational factors in second language learning and gender differences between integrative and instrumental orientation among engineering students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: An adopted AMTB (Attitude and Motivation Test Battery) was used to collect data from undergraduate engineering students in the study area. The data were analysed using descriptive statistics, Cronbach’s Alpha, ANOVA, Pearson Correlation coefficient. Findings: The results revealed strong positive correlation observed between desire to learn English and attitude towards learning English. A moderate correlation was found between attitude towards learning English and motivational intensity. Similarly,strong positive correlation was found between integrative and instrumental orientation among male students when compared to female. Applications/Improvements: The teacher must boost their learners’ interest and create awareness about the importance of studying English both for intrinsic and instrumental reasons. Similarly, language instructors could change their teaching method according to the learners’ interest.
Gender Difference, Instrumental and Integrative Orientation, L2 Learning, Motivation Factor, Socio-Educational Model.
- Gardner RC. Social psychology and second language learning: the role of attitudes and motivation. London: Edward Arnold; 1985.
- Gardner RC, Lambert WE. Attitudes and motivation in second-language learning. Rowley, MA: Newbury House. 1972; 316 pp.
- Dornyei Z. Motivation in second and foreign language learning. Language Teaching.1998; 31(3):117–35.
- Dornyei Z. Attitudes, orientations, and motivations in language learning: Advances in theory, research, and applications. Oxford: Blackwell. 2003; 53(1):3–32.
- Masgoret AM, Gardner RC. Attitudes, motivation, and second language learning: A meta‐analysis of studies conducted by Gardner and associates. Language Learning. 2003; 53(1):123–63.
- Dornyei Z. Motivation and motivating in the foreign language classroom. Modern Language Journal. 1994; 78(3):515–23.
- Williams M, Burden R. Psychology for language teachers. Cambridge University Press; 1997.
- Tremblay PF, Gardner RC. Expanding the motivation construct in language learning.Modern Language Journal. 1995; 79(4):505–20.
- Crookes G, Schmidt RW. Motivation: Reopening the research agenda. Language Learning. 1991; 41(4):469–512.
- Gardner RC. Integrative Motivation and second language acquisition. Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics/Canadian Linguistics Association Joint Plenary Talk, London, Ontario. 2007; 29(1):143–44.
- Al-Tamimi A, Shuib M. Motivation and attitudes towards learning English: A study of petroleum engineering undergraduates at Hadhramout University of Sciences and Technology. GEMA: Online Journal of Language Studies. 2009; 9(2):29–55.
- Kesgin N, Arslan M. Attitudes of Students towards the English Language in High Schools. ANTHROPOLOGIST. 2015; 20(1-2):297–305.
- Al-Khasawneh FM, Al-Omari MA. Motivations towards Learning English: The Case of Jordanian Gifted Students. International Journal of Education. 2015; 7(2):306–21.
- Al-Samadani AH, Ibnian S. The relationship between Saudi EFL students’ attitudes towards learning English and their academic achievement. International Journal of Education and Social Science. 2015; 2(1):92–102.
- Rahman S. Orientations and motivation in English language learning: A study of Bangladeshi students at undergraduate level. Asian EFL Journal. 2005; 7(1):29–55.
- Kreishan LJ, Al-Dhaimat Y. Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, orientation and achievements in L2 of Arab learners of English, French and German: a study from Jordan. International Education Studies. 2013; 6(12):52.
- Rehman A, Bilal HA, Nawaz AS. The role of motivation in learning English language for Pakistani learners. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 2014; 4(1):254–8.
- Saranraj L, Meenakshi K. Influence of Motivation Factor and Anxiety in L2 Learning among Engineering Students in Dharmapuri, India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(18):1–7.
- Gardner RC. Attitude/Motivation Test Battery: International AMTB research project. Canada: University of Western Ontario. 2004; 1–12.
- Rukh S. Students’ attitude towards English language learning and academic achievement: A case of business students in Punjab. European Academic Research. 2014; 2(4):5596–612.
- Dhindsa HS, Chung G. Attitudes and achievement of Bruneian science students. International Journal of Science Education. 2003; 25(8):907–22.
- Osborne J, Simon S, Collins S. Attitudes towards science: A review of the and its implications. International Journal of Science Education. 2003; 25(9):1049–79.
- Tuan LT. An empirical research into EFL learners’ motivation. Theory and Practice in Language Studies. 2012; 2(3):430–9.
- Ming TS, Ling TS, Jaafar NM. Attitudes and motivation of Malaysian secondary students towards learning English as a second language: A case study. 3L: Language, Linguistics and: The Southeast Asian Journal of English Language Studies. 2011; 17(1):40–54.
- Zafar S, Feleciya JN, Khan ZA. Using Website Building As a Project Based Learning (PBL) Tool to Enhance Engineering Students’ Technical Writing Skills. Proceedings of the International Conference on Trends and Innovations in Language Teaching; Chennai. 2014. p. 186–8.
- Saranraj L, Zafar S, Khan ZA. Teachers’ Use of Motivational Strategies in Tertiary Level ESL Classrooms. Proceedings of the International Conference on Trends and Innovations in Language Teaching; Chennai. 2014; 462–6.
- Shoaib A, Dornyei Z. Affect in lifelong learning: Exploring L2 motivation as a dynamic process. In: Benson P, Nunan D editors. Learners’ Stories: Difference and Diversity in Language Learning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2005; 1–12.
- Abidin MJZ, Pour-Mohammadi M, Alzwari H. EFL students’ attitudes towards learning English language: The case of Libyan Secondary school students. Asian Social Science. 2012; 8(2):119–34.
- Henry A. L3 Motivation. (Diss.). Acta Universitatis Gothoburgensis. 2012; 1–165.
- Zafar S, Meenakshi K. Individual learner differences and second language acquisition: A review. Journal of Language Teaching and Research. 2012; 3(4):639–46.
- Mat CS, Yunus M. Attitudes and motivation towards learning English among FELDA school Students. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2014; 8(5):1–8.
- Choosri C, Intharaksa U. Relationship between motivation and students’ English learning achievement: A study of the second year vocational certificate level Hatyai Technical College students. 2015; 1–15.
- Zafar S, Manjurekar B, Kumar NP, Khan ZA. Effects of FFCS (Fully Flexible Credit System) on Learning Experience and Academic Performance. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2014; 143:4–7.
- Dornyei Z Ushioda E. Motivation, Language Identity and the L2 Self. Bristol: Multilingual Matters. 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.