Total views : 135
CFD Simulation and Experimental Study of Impeller Speed and Clearance Effects in the Mixer of Copper Solvent Extraction Unit
Objectives: Impeller speed and clearance are factors that have major role in the efficiency of dynamic mixers. Investigating effective parameters are the main goal of this research. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A computational fluid dynamics simulation based on the Eulerian-Eulerian two-phase method has been applied to study the behavior of aqueous-organic dispersion in the copper solvent extraction mixer. Findings: The hydrodynamic behavior of organic phase is visualized by using an image analyzing method. The effect of impeller speed and clearance on the position of eddies and fluid hydrodynamics are investigated. According to the results, by increasing impeller speed, dead zones are decreased and at impeller speeds more than 200 rpm dead zones around the baffles are almost non-existent. Optimum clearances are determined 8.5 and 7 cm for 100 and 200 rpm, respectively. Application/Improvements: The results can be used in the industrial mixer of the solvent extraction unit for improving the efficiency of the mixing process.
Clearance, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Hydrodynamics, Impeller Speed, Mixer, Solvent Extraction
- Kraume M, Gäbler A, Schulze K. Influence of physical properties on drop size distribution of stirred liquid‐liquid dispersions. Chemical Engineering and Technology. 2004; 27(3):330–4.
- Shabani MO, Mazahery A. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulation of liquid-liquid mixing in mixer-settler.Archive of Metallurgy and Materials. 2012; 57:173–8.
- Han SR, Kim KH, Lim KO, Oh TJ. Biological activity analysis of different solvent extracts from pleurotus ostreatus.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(26):1–8.
- Javanshir S, Abdollahy M, Abolghasemi H. Drop size distribution in a mixer–settler reactor for the gold chloride/DBC system. Chem Eng Res Des. 2012; 90(10):1680–6.
- Shabani M, Ostadmazahery A. Evaluation of the effect of mixer settler baffles on liquid-liquid extraction via CFD simulation. UPB Sci Bull Ser D. 2011; 73(4):55–64.
- Abu-Farah L, Al-Qaessi F, Schönbucher A. Cyclohexane/ water dispersion behaviour in a stirred batch vessel experimentally and with CFD simulation. Procedia Computer Science. 2010; 1(1):655–64.
- Zhao Y, Li X, Cheng J, Yang C, Mao ZS. Experimental study on liquid–liquid macromixing in a stirred tank. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2011; 50(10):5952–8.
- Cheng D, Cheng J, Li X, Wang X, Yang C, Mao ZS.Experimental study on gas–liquid–liquid macro-mixing in a stirred tank. Chem Eng Sci. 2012; 75:256–66.
- Roudsari SF, Turcotte G, Dhib R, Ein-Mozaffari F. CFD modeling of the mixing of water in oil emulsions. Comput Chem Eng. 2012; 45:124–36.
- Bäumler K, Wegener M, Paschedag A, Bänsch E. Drop rise velocities and fluid dynamic behavior in standard test systems for liquid/liquid extraction-experimental and numerical investigations. Chem Eng Sci. 2011; 66(3): 426–39.
- Cheng D, Feng X, Cheng J, Yang C, Mao ZS. Experimental study on the dispersed phase macro-mixing in an immiscible liquid–liquid stirred reactor. Chem Eng Sci. 2015; 126:196–203.
- Brůha O, Brůha T, Fořt I, Jahoda M. Dynamics of the flow pattern in a baffled mixing vessel with an axial impeller.Acta Polytechnica. 2007; 47(6).
- Fradette L, Thomé G, Tanguy PA, Takenaka K. Power and mixing time study involving a maxblend® impeller with viscous newtonian and non-newtonian fluids. Chem Eng Res Des. 2007; 85(11):1514–23.
- Sucharitha G, Kumaraswamy A. Analysis on three dimensional flow of direct-injection diesel engine for different piston configuration using CFD. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(6):4748–53.
- Subbaiah GV, Reddy YS, Reddy KVK. Thermal design of attendant control panel for avionics through CFD. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(10):5293–7.
- Versteeg HK, Malalasekera W. An introduction to computational fluid dynamics the finite volume method. Pearson Education; 2007.
- White FM. Viscous fluid flow. McGraw-Hill; 1974.
- Ranade VV. Computational flow modeling for chemical reactor engineering. Academic Press; 2002.
- Sadeghi R, Mohebbi A, Baniasadi M. CFD modeling of the launder of settler of an industrial copper solvent extraction plant: A case study on Sarcheshmeh copper complex, Iran.Int J Miner Process. 2011; 98(1):55–65.
- Zou Y, Ye SS, Wang YD, Fei WY. CFD simulation and PIV measurement of liquid–liquid two-phase flow in pumpmix mixer. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2016; 60:15–25.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.