Total views : 1032
Free Vibration Analysis of Multi-Storeyed Buildings resting on different Soil / Rock Media at Hyderabad, Telangana State, India
Earthquake is a spasm of ground shaking caused due to sudden release of energy in the earth’s crust and bulk of destruction takes place within a short duration of time. Past history records reveal that rate of occurrence of earthquakes is an increasing phenomena. Bitter experiences on failure/collapse of structures, particularly in urban regions, warn the people on importance of constructing earthquake resistant buildings. Local soil conditions and interaction between soil /rock media and the structure indeed affect the response of the structure during an earthquake. In the present investigation, the western region of Hyderabad, part of the capital of Telangana, is chosen as the study area which consists of different soil/rock profiles at different locations. Free vibration analysis of a multi-storeyed building is carried out when the foundation of similar structure rests on different soil/rock media. Frequencies and time periods are worked out for comparison when the same structure is assumed to be fixed at the base. From the results, it is observed that the variation in time period of the structure increases with decrease of soil stiffness. It is also noticed that soil-structure interaction effect on time period of the structure, particularly in loose soils, is of more significant compared to the variation in structure stiffness.
Free vibration, Geomorphology, Shear wave velocity, Soil-structure-interaction, Spring constant, Time period.
- Rao BR. Historical seismicity and deformation rates in the Indian Peninsular Shield. Journal of Seismology. 2000; 4(3):247–58.
- David J, Dowrick D. Earthquake resistant Design for Engineers and Architects, John Wiley & Sons, New York.1996; 1–98.
- Jami M, Mousavi EJ, Hadizadeh A, Pourkermani M. The Evaluation of Saravan Fault Activities in Iran on the Basis of Geomorphologic Evidences. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Apr; 6(4):1–6.
- Reddy SRK. Terrain Evaluation and Influence of Soil- Structure Interaction on Seismic Response of Structures in Urban Environs Proc. of 3rd International Conference on Protection of Structures against Hazards: Italy. 2006; 26(3):235–42.
- Whitman RV, Richart FE. Design procedures for dynamically loaded foundations. Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering Division, ASCE. 1967; 167–91.
- IS 1893 (Part-1): 2002 Cirteria for Earthquake resistant Design of Structures Fifth Revision.
- Pgarwal P, Shrikhande M. Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, Printice Hall of India, New Delhi. 2006.
- Nishanth M, Dhir P, Davis R. Stochastic Free Vibration Analysis of RC Buildings. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(30):1–5.
- Alexander J, Augustine BSM. Free Vibration and Damping Characteristics of GFRP and BFRP Laminated Composites at Various Boundary Conditions. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(12):1–7.
- Gasemzadeh B, Azarafza R, Sahebi Y, Motallebi A. Analysis of Free Vibration of Cylindrical Shells on the Basis of Three Dimensional Exact Elasticity Theory. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Sep; 5(9):1–3.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.