Total views : 402
Massive-MIMO- Past, Present and Future: A Review
Objectives: Multiple Input-Multiple Output (MIMO) systems have turn out to be necessity of wireless communication systems to conquer bandwidth restrictions. Massive-MIMO systems are capable of improving the channel capability of the system. This paper presents review on design, architecture, challenges, limitations and the possible improvements in a Massive-MIMO system. Methods/statistical Analysis: Comprehensive study has been performed to build up substantial understanding about various designs, architectures and techniques described so far by enthusiastic research scholars regarding system model and practical implementation of the Massive-MIMO systems. The review is paying attention on the problems like, getting true channel state information, antenna correlation, channel estimation, signal detection schemes at receiver end, different kind of possible network architectures and their complexity and hardware impairments. Brief information is added about the projects running worldwide on Massive-MIMO and its application in future communication systems of next generation. Findings: It is observed that multiple antenna systems with huge amount of antenna elements at base station are competent to increase data rate by many folds, without requirement of any extra bandwidth, as compared to other existing technologies. Massive-MIMO combined with multiple carrier systems (Massive-MIMO-OFDM) followed by suitable signal detection schemes, like beam forming, gives overwhelming results. Application: With possibilities of further research and continuous improvements, Massive-MIMO system is one of the best suitable choices, among various technologies, for next generation wireless communication systems, like 5G.
Channel State Information (CSI), Massive-MIMO, MIMO, MIMO-OFDM
- Marzetta TL. Non-cooperative cellular wireless with unlimited numbers of base station antennas. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communication. 2010; 9(11):3590–600.
- 5G massive MIMO Testbed: From theory to reality-national.Available from: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52382/en/
- Ranjith S, Vishnupriya T. Analysis and design of SDF architecture for MIMO application. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(8).
- Manikandan C, Neelamegam P, Divya E. OFDM techniques for MIMO-OFDM system: A review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(22).
- Larsson E, Edfors O, Tufvesson F, Marzetta T. Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2014; 52(2):186–95.
- Hoydis J, Brink ST, Debbah M. Massive MIMO: How many antennas do we need? IEEE 49th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton); 2011 Sep. p. 545–50.
- Lee C, Chae CB. Kim T, Choi S, Lee J. Network massive MIMO for cell-boundary users: From a precoding normalization perspective. Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps); 2012 Dec. p. 233–7.
- Bjornson E, Kountouris M, Debbah M. Massive MIMO and small cells: Improving energy efficiency by optimal soft-cell coordination. IEEE 20th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT); 2013 May. p. 1–5.
- Kasiselvanathan M, Kumar SN. BER performance analysis and comparison of large scale MIMO receiver. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(35).
- Ha D, Lee K, Kang J. Energy efficiency analysis with circuit power consumption in massive MIMO systems. IEEE 24th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications: Fundamentals and PHY Track; 2013.
- Mohammed SK, Larsson EG. Constant-envelope multi-user precoding for frequency-selective massive MIMO systems.IEEE Wireless Communications Letters. 2013; 2(5):547–50.
- Bjornson E, Sanguinetti L, Hoydis J, Debbah M. Designing multi-user MIMO for energy efficiency: When is massive MIMO the answer? IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC); 2014 Apr. p. 242–7.
- Zhu J, Schober R, Bhargava VK. Secure transmission in multicell massive MIMO systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2014; 13(9):4766–81.
- Zhang Q, Jin S, Wong KK, Zhu H, Matthaiou M. Power scaling of uplink massive MIMO systems with arbitrary-rank channel means. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing. 2014; 8(5):966–81.
- Truong KT, Heath RW. Effects of channel aging in massiveMIMO systems. Journal of Communications and Networks.2013; 15(4):338–51.
- Love DJ, Choi JY, Bidigare P. A closed-loop training approach for massive MIMO beamforming systems. 47th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS); 2013. p. 1–5.
- Choi J, Chance Z, Love DJ, Madhow U. Non-coherent trellis coded quantization: A practical limited feedback technique for massive MIMO systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications.2013; 61(12):5016–29.
- Hoydis J, Hosseini K, Brink ST, Debbah M. Making smart use of excess antennas: Massive MIMO, small cells, and TDD. Bell Labs Technical Journal. 2013; 18(2):5–21.
- Choi J, Love DJ, Bidigare P. Downlink training techniques for FDD massive MIMO systems: Open-loop and closedloop training with memory. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing. 2014; 8(5):802–14.
- Rao X, Lau VK, Kong X. CSIT estimation and feedback for FDD multi-user massive MIMO systems. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP); 2014May. p. 3157–61.
- Swindlehurst AL, Ayanoglu E, Heydari P, Capolino F. Millimeterwave massive MIMO: The next wireless revolution?IEEE Communications Magazine. 2014; 52(9):56–62.
- Bazzi S, Dietl G, Utschick W. Subspace precoding with limited feedback for the massive MIMO interference channel.IEEE 8th Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop (SAM); 2014 Jun. p. 277–80.
- Zhao Y, Wang X, Gu X, Wan W, Pang Q. Training sequence design for channel state information acquisition in massive MIMO systems. IEEE 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC); 2015. p. 1712–6.
- Gao Z, Dai L, Dai W, Wang Z. Block compressive channel estimation and feedback for FDD massive MIMO. IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS); 2015. p. 49–50.
- Shen JC, Zhang J, Letaief KB. Downlink user capacity of massive MIMO under pilot contamination. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2015; 14(6):3183–93.
- Kolomvakis N, Matthaiou M, Li J, Coldrey M, Svensson T. Massive MIMO with IQ imbalance: Performance analysis and compensation. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); 2015 Jun. p. 1703–9.
- Bjornson E, Hoydis J, Kountouris M, Debbah M. Massive MIMO systems with non-ideal hardware: Energy efficiency, estimation, and capacity limits. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. 2014; 60(11):7112–39.
- Pitarokoilis A, Mohammed SK, Larsson EG. Uplink performance of time-reversal MRC in massive MIMO systems subject to phase noise. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2015; 14(2):711–23.
- Xu K, Gao Y, Xie W, Xia X, Xu Y. Achievable rate of full-duplex massive MIMO relaying with hardware impairments.IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing (PACRIM); 2015. p. 84–9.
- Bannour A, Sun Y. Duality of antennas and subcarriers in massive MIMO-OFDM downlink system. Electronics Letters.2015; 51(14):1115–7.
- Shen J, Suyama S, Obara T, Okumura Y. Requirements of power amplifier on super high bit rate massive MIMO OFDM transmission using higher frequency bands. Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps); 2014. p. 433–7.
- Dai L, Wang Z, Yang Z. Spectrally efficient time-frequency training OFDM for mobile large-scale MIMO systems.IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2013; 31(2):251–63.
- Kudo R, Armour S, McGeehan JP, Mizoguchi M. A channel state information feedback method for massive MIMO-OFDM. Journal of Communications and Networks.2013; 15(4):352–61.
- Studer C, Larsson EG. PAR-aware large-scale multi-user MIMO-OFDM downlink. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2013; 31(2):303–13.
- Prabhu H, Edfors O, Rodrigues J, Liu L, Rusek F. A low-complex peak-to-average power reduction scheme for OFDM based massive MIMO systems. IEEE 6th International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing (ISCCSP); 2014 May. p. 114–7.
- Fang X, Fang S, Ying N, Cao H, Liu C. The performance of massive MIMO systems under correlated channel. IEEE 19th International Conference on Networks (ICON); 2013.p. 1–4.
- Nam J, Ahn JY, Adhikary A, Caire G. Joint spatial division and multiplexing: Realizing massive MIMO gains with limited channel state information. IEEE 46th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS); 2012 Mar. p. 1–6.
- Hoydis J, Hoek C, Wild T, Brink ST. Channel measurements for large antenna arrays. International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS); 2011. p.811–5.
- Zhu D, Li B, Liang P. On the matrix inversion approximation based on neumann series in massive-MIMO systems.IEEE ICC-Wireless Communication Symposium; 2015. p.1763–9.
- Zhang W, Xiang J, Li YNR, Wang Y, Chen Y, Geng P, Lu Z. Field trial and future enhancements for TDD massive MIMO networks. IEEE 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC); 2015. p. 2339–43.
- Flordelis J, Gao X, Dahman G, Rusek F, Edfors O, Tufvesson F. Spatial separation of closely-spaced users in measured massive multi-user MIMO channels. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); 2015. p. 1441–6.
- Gao X, Edforce O, Rusek F, Tufvesson F. Massive MIMO performance evaluation based on measured propagation data. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication.2015; 14(7):3899–911.
- Liu W, Han S, Yang C. Energy efficiency comparison of massive MIMO and small cell network. IEEE Conference on Global Signal and Information Processing (Global SIP); 2014 Dec, p. 617–21.
- Jungnickel V, Manolakis K, Zirwas W, Panzner B, Braun V, Lossow M, Sternad M, Apelfröjd R. Svensson T. The role of small cells, coordinated multipoint, and massive MIMO in 5G. IEEE Communications Magazine; 2014; 52(5):44–51.
- Panzner B, Zirwas W, Dierks S, Lauridsen M, Mogensen P, Pajukoski K, Miao D. Deployment and implementation strategies for massive MIMO in 5G. Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps); 2014. p. 346–51.
- Masood M, Afify LH, Al-Naffouri TY. Efficient coordinated recovery of sparse channels in massive MIMO. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 2015; 63(1):104–18.
- Bai T, Heath RW. Asymptotic SINR for millimeter wave massive MIMO cellular networks. IEEE 16th International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC); 2015. p. 620–4.
- Hoydis J, Hoek C, Wild T, ten Brink S. Channel measurements for large antenna arrays. Proceedings of International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems(ISWCS); 2012. p. 811–5.
- Malathi ACJ, Thiripurasundari D. Review on isolation techniques in MIMO antenna systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(35).
- Han Y, Ni J, Du G. The potential approaches to achieve channel reciprocity in FDD system with frequency correction algorithms. Proceedings of International ICST Conference on Communication Networks; 2010.
- Bjornson E, Hoydis J, Kountouris M, Debbah M. Hardware impairments in large-scale MISO systems: Energy efficiency, estimation, and capacity limits. IEEE 18th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing (DSP); 2013 Jul. p. 1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.