Total views : 211
Impact Behavior of Automotive Bumper Beam under Crashes
Objectives: This work is an attempt to present commercially used designs and analyze it to compare the impact behavior of each design of bumper beams during head-on collisions Methods/Statistical Analysis: In order to avoid series of destructive test for a new vehicle to be performed the necessity of economical design using finite element is performed in this study. Parameters like materials, shape and thickness are considered for carrying out analysis with the help of Hypermesh 9.0 and LS-DYNA software Findings: The main criterion to be discussed is energy absorbing Behavior of bumper beams during headon collisions. Analysis is carried out upto 20 millisecond. Results for different Designs and for varying thickness are obtained and compared to study the impact Behavior of beams under study. Impact behavior of Bumper beam is analyzed based on energy absorption of the beam and the displacement condition. Maximum nodal displacement is obtained for different thickness and materials and plotted over the period of time Application/Improvements: Experimental setup has to be developed for the testing of the model under crashes and to be analysed at operating condition.
Impact, Collisions, FEA, Bumper Beam, Energy Absorption
- Marzbanrad TJ, Alijanpour M, Kiasat M. Design and analysis of an automotive bumper beam in low-speed frontal crashes. Thin-Walled Structures. 2009; 47(8-9):902–11.
- Davoodi MM, Sapuan SM, Ahmad A, Aidy A, Khalina K, Jonoobi M. Concept selection of car bumper beam with developed hybrid bio-composite material. Materials and Design. 2011; 32(1-0):4857–65.
- Davoodi M M, Sapuan SM, Ahmad D, Ali A, Khalina A, Jonoobi M. Mechanical properties of hybrid kenaf/glass reinforced epoxy composite for passenger car bumper beam. Materials and Design. 2010; 31(10):4927–32.
- Davoodi MM, Sapuan SM, Yunus R. Conceptual design of a polymer composite automotive bumper energy absorber. Materials and Design. 2008; 29(7):1447–52.
- Moghaddam ARM, Ahmadian MT. Design and Analysis of an Automobile Bumper with the Capacity of Energy Release Using GMT Materials. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2011; 5(4):1–76.
- Hambali A, Sapuan SM, Ismail N, Nukman Y. Material selection of polymeric composite automotive bumper beam using analytical hierarchy process. J Cent South Univ Technol. 2010; 17(2):244−56.
- Jenitha G, Nath VG, Kumar NG. Analysis of Cold-Formed C-Beam and Built Up Beam. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.