Total views : 207
Combined Spatial FCM Clustering and Swarm Intelligence for Medical Image Segmentation
Objectives: The development of image processing tools for medical image processing has recently generated lot of interest. Medical image segmentation is one such area of focus for many researchers over the years. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this work we have proposed an algorithm which is a combination of Fuzzy C-Means Clustering (FCM) with spatial constraints which is called spatial FCM (SFCM) and swarm intelligence optimization methods for medical image segmentation. The swarm intelligence algorithm that we have considered in this work is the Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) optimization. Findings: The algorithm is applied to brain MRI image segmentation and compared with other existing algorithm and the validation of the algorithm is evaluated by cluster a validity function which is an indication of how good a clustering result is. The results show that the combined algorithm i.e. ABCSFCM has better performance and improve the cluster validity functions as compared to SFCM. Applications/Improvements: The result is quite promising and although the proposed algorithm is tested on brain MRI image it can be extended to other problems of interest. The other variants of FCM and other natured inspired optimization are worth investigating for further improvements.
ABC, ABCSFCM, MRI, SFCM, Segmentation.
- Rafael C, Gonzalez G, Richard E, Woods W. Digital Image Processing. 2nd Ed. Pearson Education; 2008.
- Bezdek JC. Pattern recognition with fuzzy objective function algorithms. Plenum, NY, 1981.
- Bezdek C, Hall LO, Clarke LP. Review of MR image segmentation techniques using pattern recognition. Med Phys. 1993; 20(4):1033-48.
- Chuang KS, Tzeng H, Chen S, Wu J, Chen TJ. Fuzzy c-means clustering with spatial information for image segmentation. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. 2006; 30(1):9-15.
- Despotovic I, Goossens B, Philips W. MRI segmentation of the human brain: Challenges, methods and applications, computational and mathematical methods in medicine. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine. 2015:23.
- Balafar MA. Fuzzy c-mean based brain MRI segmentation algorithms. Artificial Intelligence Review. Netherlands: Springer; 2014; 41(3):441-9.
- Li BN, Chui CK, Chang S, Ong SH. Integrating spatial fuzzy clustering with level set methods for automated medical image segmentation. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2011; 41(1):1-10.
- Abdel-Maksoud E, Elmogy M, Al-Awadi R. Brain tumor segmentation based on a hybrid clustering technique. Egyptian Informatics Journal. 2015; 16(1):71-81.
- Krishna TVS, Babu AY, Rao AA. Robust Fuzzy C-means cluster algorithm through energy minimization for image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(22):1-12.
- Wang Y. Fuzzy clustering analysis using genetic algorithm. ICIC Express Letters. 2008. p. 331-7.
- Gao Y, Wang S, Liu S. Automatic clustering based on GA-FCM for pattern recognition. 2nd International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design (ISCID); Changsha. 2009. p. 146-9.
- Halder A, Pramanik S, Kar A. Dynamic image segmentation using fuzzy c-means based genetic algorithm. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2011; 28(6):15-20.
- Laishram R, Singh WKK, Kumar NA, Robindro K, Jimriff S. MRI brain edge detection using GAFCM segmentation and canny algorithm. International Journal of Advances in Electronics Engineering. 2012; 2(3):1-4.
- Laishram R, Kumar WK, Gupta A, Prakash KV. A novel MRI brain edge detection using PSOFCM segmentation and canny algorithm. IEEE International Conference on Electronic Systems, Signal Processing and Computing Technologies (ICESC); India. 2014. p. 398-401.
- Balasubramani K, Marcus K. Artificial Bee Colony algorithm to improve brain MR image segmentation. IJCSE. 2013; 5(1):31-6.
- Singh TI, Laishram R, Roy S. Medical image segmentation using fuzzy C means clustering with optimization using artificial bee colony algorithm. Advanced Research in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 2015; 2(12):35-40.
- Mahalakshmi S, Velmuruga T. Detection of brain tumor by particle swarm optimization using image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(22):1-7.
- Karaboga D. An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization. Technical Report 06. Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department. 2005. p. 1-10.
- Karaboga D, Basturk B. A powerful and efficient algorithm for numerical function optimization: Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm. Journal of Global Optimization. 2007; 39(3):459-71.
- Bezdek JC. Cluster validity with fuzzy sets. Journal of Cybernetics. 1974; 3(3):58-73.
- Bezdek JC. Mathematical models for systematic and taxonomy. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Numerical Taxonomy; San Francisco. 1975. p. 143-66.
- Xie X, Beni GA. Validity measure for fuzzy clustering. IEEE Trans on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 1991; 31(8):841-6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.