Total views : 360
Approximation of Floor Amplification Factors for Seismic Protection of Non-Structural Elements
Objectives: Countries with proficient seismic evaluation techniques have efficiently managed to minimize the losses due to failure of the structure, thereby protecting the lives and non-structural systems. In India, there is no provision for seismic protection of non-structural elements. The contents of the buildings, attachments/accessories attached on various floors of the buildings, services and utilities in the buildings fall under the category of non-structural elements. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: By using non-linear time history analysis on seven building models exposed to fifteen earthquake records, accelerations at each floor, for the case study models was found. The amplification factors, computed using the accelerations, were compared with IITK-GSDMA guidelines. Findings: From the results of time history analyses, it was concluded that the floor amplification factor suggested by IITK-GSDMA needs revision. Application/Improvements: The proposed formulae for the amplification factors can be used in lieu of the IITK-GSDMA formulae in order to achieve more representative results.
Floor Amplification Factors, Non-Structural Elements, Non-Linear Time History, Seismic Design, Towers.
- Fathali S, Lizundia B. Evaluation of current seismic design equations for nonstructural components in tall buildings using strong motion records. Struct Design Tall Spec Build. 2011; 20(1):30–46.
- Singh M, Moreschi L, Suarez L, Matheu E. Seismic Design Forces. I: Rigid Nonstructural Components. J Struct Eng. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2006 Oct; 132(10):1524–32.
- IS 1893 (Part-1): 2002. Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, Part 1– General Provisions and Buildings. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 2002. p. 1–42.
- Goutam M, Sudhir KJ. Design of non-structural elements for buildings: A review of codal provisions. The Indian Concrete Journal. 2005 Oct; 79(8):22–8.
- Murty CVR. Earthquake protection of non-structural elements in buildings, IITK-GSDMA Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority. Gujarat: Govt of Gujarat; 2013. p. 1–176.
- Penzin J, Chopra AK. Earthquake response of appendage on a multi-story building. Proceedings of the 3rd World Conference on Earthquake Engineering; Wellington, New Zealand. 1965; 2(2):476–90.
- Banihashemi MR, Mirzagoltabar A, Tavakoli H. Development seismic design of steel moment frames and the evaluation by energy spectrum method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(10):1699–711.
- Chopra A. Dynamics of structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering. NJ: Prentice Hall Inc; 2001.
- Clough RW, Penzien J. Dynamics of structures. New York: McGraw Hill; 1993.
- Tso WK, Zhu TJ, Heidebrecht AC. Engineering implication of ground motion A/V ratio. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 1992; 11(3):133–44.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.